Thursday, April 01, 2010
Millar completes Garmin sweep at De Panne!
Belgium— David Millar won the final stage time trial at the Three Days of De Panne stage race Thursday, completing an incredible day for Garmin-Transitions, in which they took three wins: Tyler Farrar sprinted to victory in the morning’s road stage, then Millar won both the final stage and the overall.
Farrar kicked the day off with his first win of the season, unleashing a powerful sprint in the cobblestone finish of the 112-kilometer Stage 3a.
“It feels so good,” Farrar told Cyclingnews.com after the victory. “The cobbles made it hard and it was a crazy sprint with bikes bouncing all over the place.”
In the afternoon, Millar rode his Felt DA time trial bike to a convincing victory, torching the 14.75km course with a time of 18:44. He beat second-place finisher Lieuwe Westra of The Netherlands by 5 seconds and won the overall by a comfortable 35-second margin over Ukrainian Andrey Grivko.
Rounding out the great day for the Garmin-Transitions boys, Canadian Svein Tuft finished third in the TT. It was a stellar performance in the heart of the team’s Spring Classics campaign. They now turn their attention to this weekend’s Monumental Classic, the Tour of Flanders. With Millar and Farrar showing confidence the team will enter “De Ronde” on a roll.
THREE DAYS OF DE PANNE
De Panne, Belgium. March 29-31
1. David Millar (GB), Garmin-Transitions, 18:44
2. Lieuwe Westra (Ned), Vacansoleil, at 0:05
3. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Transitions, at 0:24
4. Bert Grabsch (Ger), HTC-Columbia, at 0:30
5. Dominique Comu (Bel), Skil-Shimano, at 0:34
1. Millar, 12:20:36
2. Andrey Grivko (Ukr), Astana, at 0:35
3. Luca Paolini (Ita), Acqua & Sapone, at 1:07
4. Frederic Amorison (Bel), Landbouwkrediet, at 1:25
5. Westra, at 2:16