Sunday, August 22, 2010
Bobridge Scores his First ProTour Win!
The Netherlands — Garmin-Transitions rider Jack Bobridge scored the biggest win of his career in Stage 5 of the eight-day Eneco Tour in The Netherlands on Sunday. The Australian joined a breakaway that lasted nearly all of the 204-kilometer stage and then launched a solo attack in the final 2km to win on his Felt F1.
Bobridge’s first-ever ProTour victory gave Garmin-Transitions its second win of the Eneco Tour race after his teammate Svein Tuft’s prologue victory last Tuesday. Sunday’s stage featured much of the same hilly terrain as the Amstel Gold Race, a classic held here each spring. Bobridge joined an 11-man break that formed at the 10km mark and then launched his winning move with 2km to go.
Tuft now sits fourth overall with two days left in the Eneco Tour. The race concludes Tuesday with a short but potentially decisive time trial.
1. Jack Bobridge (Aus), Garmin-Transitions, 4:45:38
2. Ruben Perez Moreno (Spa), Euskatel-Euskadi, at 0:04
3. Thomas De Gendt (Bel), Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator, same time
4. Michael Van Staeyen (Bel), Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator, same time
5. Gorik Gardeyn (Bel), Vacansoleil, same time
1. Tony Martin (Ger), HTC-Columbia, 23:18:10
2. Koos Moerenhout (Ned), Rabobank, at 0:10
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor), Sky, at 1:24
4. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Transitions, at 1:26
5. Lars Boom (Ned), Raboban, at 1:32