Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Hesjedal Second at Vuelta Stage 10
Spain — Garmin-Slipstream’s Ryder Hesjedal narrowly missed his first-ever grand tour individual stage win at the Vuelta a España on Tuesday, finishing second after helping drive a successful breakaway to the Stage 10 finish in Murcia.
Hesjedal and three others attacked and split off the front of a larger breakaway group of 19 on the Alto de la Cresta del Gallo, a Category 4 climb 11 kilometers from the finish of the 162-kilometer stage.
Once the group of four got away, there were several attacks in the closing kilometers. Hesjedal went clear with just over one kilometer to go but was reeled in before the line. In the end, it came down to a four-man sprint, and Hesjedal finished just behind stage winner Simon Gerrans of Australia.
The top of the General Classification standings remained unchanged. After two days of solid performances in the mountains, Garmin-Slipstream GC leader Tom Danielson sits fourth overall, just 51 seconds behind race leader Alejandro Valverde of Spain.
VUELTA A ESPANA
Spain. August 29-September 20
Stage 10, Alicante - Murcia 162km
1. Simon Gerrans (Aus), Cervelo Test Team, 3:56:19
2. Ryder Hesjedal (Can), Garmin-Slipstream, same time
3. Jakob Fugslang (Den), Saxo Bank, same time
4. Alexander Vinokourov (Kaz), Astana, same time
5. Adam Hansen (Aus), Columbia-HTC, at 0:29
1. Alejandro Valverde (Spa), Caisse d’Epargne, 40:26:41
2. Cadel Evans (Aus), Silence-Lotto, at 0:07
3. Robert Gesink (Ned), Rabobank, at 0:36
4. Tom Danielson (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:51
5. Ivan Basso (Ita), Liquigas, at 0:53