Thursday, August 20, 2009
Farrar Strikes Again!
Super-sprinter Tyler Farrar racked up his second straight win for the Garmin-Slipstream squad Thursday at Stage 2 of the Eneco Tour in Belgium. Farrar kept hold of the race leader’s jersey, continuing an amazing week in which he has scored three wins in five days.
Thursday’s 178-kilometer stage from Ardooie to Brussels ended with a group sprint, and Farrar beat Yauheni Huratovich (Francaise des Jeux) and Edvald Boasson Hagen (Columbia-HTC) in the dash to the line. The 25-year-old American now holds a 13-second lead in the General Classification over Boasson Hagen.
Thursday’s stage featured hills, heat and several breakaways. The final break was finally swept up by the group in the final kilometer. Several riders abandoned the race on Thursday, and Farrar said it was a tough effort getting through the hills but his Garmin-Slipstream teammates, including GC rider Bradley Wiggins, gave him solid support. Wiggins sits fifth overall after Stage 2 and awaits the Ardennes mountains and final time trial in the days ahead.
Stage 3 on Friday is a 158km race from Niel to Hasselt.
Eneco Tour, August 18-25
Belgium and The Netherlands
1. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Slipstream, 4:17:43
2. Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr), Francaise Des Jeux, same time
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Columbia-HTC, same time
4. Wouter Weylandt (Bel) Quick Step, same time
5. Tom Veelers (Ned) Skil-Shimano, same time
1. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Slipstream, 8:41:09
2. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Columbia-HTC, at 0:13
3. Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step, at 0:14
3. Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step, at 0:19
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream, at 00:21