Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Farrar Sprints to Victory at Vuelta!
Spain — Tyler Farrar sprinted to victory in Stage 5 of the Vuelta a España Wednesday, powering his Felt F1 past Koldo Fernandez and Mark Cavendish to take the win in the 199km stage from Guadix to Lorca.
Farrar's seventh win of the season came a day after he was almost forced to abandon the race with a stomach bug. The win also made him a co-leader in the points competition; he is now tied with Spaniard Igor Anton.
A breakaway formed early in the stage and was caught by the chasing sprinters’ teams, including Farrar’s Garmin-Transitions squad, in the approach to the finish. Cavendish made his move first in the final sprint, but Farrar rocketed past to take the win.
Farrar’s American teammate Tom Danielson is the highest-placed Garmin-Transitions rider in the GC. He sits 15th, 1:21 behind overall leader Philippe Gilbert of France.
VUELTA A ESPANA
Spain. August 28-September 19
1. Tyler Farrar (USA), Garmin-Transitions, 5:03:36
2. Koldo Fernandez (Spa), Euskaltel-Euskadi, same time
3. Mark Cavendish (GB), HTC-Columbia, same time
4. Matteo Tosatto (Ita), Quick Step, same time
5. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita), Lampre-Farnese Vini, same time
1. Philippe Gilbert (Fra), Omega Pharma-Lotto, 10:00:06
2. Igor Anton (Spa), Euskaltel-Euskadi, at 0:10
3. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa), Katusha, same time
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita), Liquigas-Doimo, at 0:12
5. Peter Velits (Svk), HTC-Columbia, at 0:16
15. Tom Danielson (USA), Garmin-Transitions, at 1:21