Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Sutton moves into lead at Herald Sun Tour
Australia—Garmin-Slipstream rider Chris Sutton scored his second consecutive stage win at the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia on Wednesday, taking over the lead in the seven-day stage race. The Garmin-Slipstream squad managed the 164km stage from Warrnambool to Apollo Bay perfectly, putting Sutton in the driver’s seat of the race and keeping GC contenders Bradley Wiggins and Svein Tuft in striking distance in third and fourth overall.
It was a dramatic finish to a day that included some difficult climbs. Sutton’s Garmin-Slipstream teammate Tom Peterson was in a two-man break that seemed destined to make it to the finish but a group containing Sutton, and being led by the Fly V Australia squad, caught the two just 150km before the finish.
Sutton then outsprinted Fly V’s Jonathan Cantwell and Rock Racing’s David Tanner for the win. He also jumped into the overall lead with a time bonus.
Sutton will head into Thursday’s Stage 4 with a one second lead over Cantwell. Wiggins is third, just 35 seconds back, and Tuft is fifth at 55 seconds.
Jayco Herald Sun Tur
Australia, October 11-17
1. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 3:48:58
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, same time
3. David Tanner (Aus), Rock Racing, same time
4. Tom Peterson (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, same time
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, same time
1. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 11:04:08
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, at 0:01
3. Bradley Wiggins (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:35
4. Matthew Wilson (Aus), Jayco Australia National, at 0:45
5. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:55