Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Zabriskie makes it two big wins in one day!
California – David Zabriskie capped off an incredible day for the Garmin-Transitions team when he won Stage 2 of the Amgen Tour of California and took over the race lead in Santa Cruz on Tuesday.
Zabriskie’s win followed fellow American Tyler Farrar’s huge victory at the Giro d’Italia earlier in the day, putting Garmin-Transitions, and Felt, atop the podiums on different continents at two of cycling’s grandest events.
Zabriskie attacked along with three-time Tour of California winner Levi Leipheimer and Australian Michael Rogers on the Bonny Doon Road climb, 25 kilometers from the finish of the 181km race. The trio built up a maximum lead of 90 seconds on the main group and then tried to hold it to the line.
Coming into the finish, Zabriskie managed to outsprint his fellow breakaway companions, just edging out Rogers and taking over the race lead after three of eight stages. The American now leads Rogers by four seconds. Leipheimer is third, six seconds back.
Two huge wins in one day, it’s certainly one of Garmin-Transitions’ most memorable days ever!
AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA
Stage 3: San Francisco-Santa Cruz
1. Dave Zabriskie (USA), Garmin-Transitions, 4:26:09
2. Michael Rogers (Aus), HTC-Columbia, same time
3. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Radio Shack, same time
4. Peter Sagan (Svk), Liquigas-Doimo, at 0:17
5. Roy Sutherland (Aus), United Health Care, same time
1. Dave Zabriskie (USA), Garmin-Transitions, 13:09:33
2. Michael Rogers (Aus), HTC-Columbia, at 0:04
3. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Radio Shack, at 0:06